For specific information about conference management and continuing education fees, please go to these pages:
Fees for external requests.
Fees for UPMC and the University of Pittsburgh requests.
Education and Consultative Services of UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital is approved to provide continuing education credits for the following:
National Board of Certified Counselors (NBCC) UPMC programs only
Education and Consultative Services of UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 5059. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Education and Consultative Services of UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- National Certified Counselors (NCC) are required to accrue 100 clock hours of continuing education activities that meet guidelines in each five-year certification period. There is no restriction on the percentage of those hours that may be accrued from distant learning courses.
Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselors/Certified Co-Occurring Disorders Professionals (CADC/CCDP) – UPMC programs only
- 40 hours relevant to addiction including 3 hours in ethics
- A credential is valid for a two-year period. Recertification is individualized.
- Distance learning/online courses/webinars are acceptable if they include a post-test. There is no limit to the number of distance learning/online courses that can be used.
Act 48 (when applicable) – UPMC programs only
UPMC programs must have educators listed in the target population, and workshops that address the needs of educators in classrooms.
- Educators must earn six credits of collegiate study; or six credits of PDE-approved continuing professional education courses; or 180 hours of continuing professional education programs, activities or learning experiences through a PDE approved provider; or any combination of the above every five years to maintain active certification status.
- All credits are processed the same regardless if they are in-person, online, or blended format courses.
General Continuing Education Units (CEU) – Nurses and Peer Specialists
Nurses and other professionals are awarded 0.60 Continuing Education Credits. One Continuing Education Credit is equal to 10 contact hours. Nurses: For attending this program, you will receive a Certificate of Attendance confirming 6.0 hours of continuing education. These hours may be considered eligible for completing the 30 hours of continuing education required for biannual nursing re-licensure in Pennsylvania. Peer Specialist: This program fulfills requirements for Certified Peer Specialist continuing education.
Psychologists (through the American Psychological Association)
Education and Consultative Services of UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists.
- Licenses expire 11/30 of every odd-numbered year.
- Continuing Education Requirements – 30 contact hours of acceptable continuing education, including at least 3 contact hours in ethics, 1 contact hour in suicide prevention, and 2 hours in child abuse recognition and reporting, is required for renewal.
- 30 continuing education credits are required every two years. Live streaming and in-person trainings are both considered “live”. Reading information or watching videos (all require a post-test) are not allowed to exceed 15 continuing education credits out of the 30.
Licensed Social Worker/Licensed Clinical Social Worker/Licensed Professional Counselor/Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LSW/LCSW/LPC/LMFT)
Through co-sponsorship with the University of Pittsburgh School of Social Work, a PA-approved provider of social work continuing education in accordance with all the applicable educational and professional standards of the Council on Social Work Education.
Also approved through Education and Consultative Services of UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital, a PA-approved provider of social work continuing education in accordance with all the applicable educational and professional standards of the PA State Board of Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists and Professional Counselors.
Effective November 19, 2019, the State Board of Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists and Professional Counselors will now permit all 30 clock hours of approved continuing education to be completed on-line.
LSW/LCSW/LPC/LMFT Licenses expire on February 28 of every odd-numbered year.
To renew your license, you will need 30 continuing education hours which include:
- Three credits related to Ethics
- Child Abuse Credits (first time renewal you will need three credits, after the first renewal only two credits are needed (this course may be done online or in person). This course must be approved by the PA State Board of Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapist and Professional Counselors. Visit the following link for more information and approved providers for the Act 31 Child Abuse Training. https://www.dos.pa.gov/ProfessionalLicensing/BoardsCommissions/Pages/Act-31.aspx
- Act 74 of 2016 Suicide Prevention Continuing Education: One hour of continuing education in suicide prevention, If the word “Suicide” or a derivative of the word “suicide” is contained in the tile of a suicide prevention course/program taken through an approved provider, the continuing education earned can be used towards satisfying the suicide prevention continuing education requirement. If the course and program pertains to suicide prevention and the title of the course/program doesn’t not contain the word “suicide”, the approved provider of the course/program must indicated on the certification of attendance/completion the number of hours of suicide prevention continuing education earned.
The one hour of continuing education in suicide prevention may NOT be used towards satisfying the three hours of continuing education in ethics.
Education and Consultative Services of UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital is a pre-approved provider of SW credits, NBCC, and APA credits.
Due to the COVID-19 emergency, the Department of State requested, and Governor Wolf granted, the extension for 90 days of certain license renewal deadlines which fall between April 30, 2020, and June 30, 2020. Any associated regulations that establish these dates are temporarily suspended.
This includes as of 3/27/2020:
State Board of Medicine
State Board of Nursing
State Board of Examiners of Nursing Home Administrators